A number of clients have buy-to-let properties and the government issues guidance on this on Saturday.
In can be summarised as follows.
- Landlords cannot take enforcement action against tenants until at least 30th September 2020.
- Tenants should continue to pay rent as the government has put in a number of financial support schemes in place to help them do so. Those that cannot, should discuss with their landlords.
- Tenants may be able to access further support through the housing benefit scheme through their local authority extra funding has been made available for them to do this.
- Landlords can access the mortgage payment holidays through their mortgage lenders as this is also applicable to buy to let properties. You should contact your mortgage provider in this regard.
- Landlords are not required to stop paying rent or reduce it. However, where a landlord gets a mortgage break it would be considered fair to pass the cost of this on to the tenant although not required.
The full text of the guidance is in the attached link. Please note that the attachment is copyright of the crown and is also available on the gov.uk site.